Saturday, July 12, 2008

"Sponges", or "At mevina ivrit Anabelle?"

I just wanted to point out the obvious and state that kids are sponges... while they tend to leave more puddles on the floor than they soak up, they absorb everything else. A package came in the mail today, and Anabelle wanted to help me open it. When opened she saw it... it was a Hebrew-English dictionary. Jokingly I passed it to her and asked her if she could read it... after thumbing through the pages she said, "It's a shoov bevacasha book!" Needless to say, this surprised me a lot for a few reasons: 1) I've only been studying Hebrew for a few months now, and I almost only study it by listening to mp3s, 2) while I've taught her some phrases (e.g., shoov bevacasha or "again please") I've haven't really pointed out hebrew text to her, 3) she's not even 2.5 years old yet.... In other words, kids are sponges... they learn things from us even when we don't make a real effort to teach those items to them.

1 comment:

Duckrabbit said...

Absolutely! Especially language. I hope we fellow-grantees will get to meet her soon!

רוני-