Sunday, January 25, 2009

Nazareth


As part of our Caesarea trip we also stopped in Nazareth for a day. We started at the Church of the Annunciation, where Mary received the marvelous news from an angelic messenger about her miraculous pregnancy(Cupola of Church above). There were some beautiful mosaics displayed outside and even the doors were a work of art.



















The insde was breathtaking too.



The lower level was built around some of the remains of where it is believed Mary and the Angel stood (represented by the small and large pillars).


Right next door, we visited Joseph's Church.


This too housed ancient remains on the lower level. These steps lead to Joseph's shop.

As we continued walking trhough Nazareth...

















we came to an old Crusader Church, build atop the old Synagogue where supposedly Jesus declared that the prophecy of the coming of the Messiah had been fulfilled in Him.


After some lunch of Shwarmas (sp? Lamb and flat bread wraps) and chocolate Canolis we visited Mary's Well and...


The second Church of the Annunciation (Greek Orthodox). It isn't uncommon to find two different buildings where the same thing supposedly happened, and typically one building is Catholic run and the other is Greek or Protestant.


After heading out of Nazareth, and before the sun set, we headed over to Mount Tabor. The pictures of that visit were so amazing that I think I'll make that a separate post. But here's a sneak peak.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Wow, so amazing! I love all the pictures that you put up. You're doing such a great job with your blog, too bad there's not a program to turn your blog into a scrapbook. Or is there? I would sure like to know! :)

HaYn Mama said...

Wow, I've always wanted to go to Nazareth! Thanks for posting this... yet again... so I can live vicariously through you!

I think it's funny how several religions want their claim to fame with building the same church.

Maria said...

I know there are e-scrapbooks, but I don't know that there is a way to turn your blog into a scrapbook. I guess I'll have to look into it.