Monday, November 24, 2008

In search of courage



Last night, I had one of the most uplifting theater experiences that I've ever had. I felt uplifted spiritually. I felt strengthened as an individual. And I felt a deeper level of spiritual resonance and respect for the "children of Israel" then I have ever felt before. So how did this happen? Well, I had the opportunity to see a musical production titled "In Search of Courage" that was performed by the Raise Your Spirits Summer Stock company. In a nut shell the play is about a young woman seeking to understand how to deal with the atrocities of life by looking at past Jewish heroes and how they demonstrated courage. One of the goals of the production was to encourage the audience members to find that courage within themselves. It was phenomenal!

The RYS company is very unique in several ways. 1. It was established with the desire to help out victims of terrorism and their families. Thus, all of the proceeds from their performances go towards fulfilling that purpose. The production itself is funded by donations. 2. The company performs only to an audience of women. No men are allowed due to the company's religious beliefs. 3. Thus, and not surprisingly, the company has an all women cast. Even the backstage hands and some of the lighting people are women. Therefore, the male roles are also played by women.
(Below is Deena Lawi, who performed the parts of Boaz and Mordecai in the play).


Now, this is not a professional company. In the sense that not all of the cast members are trained in nor make a living by acting, although some are. Yet, there is a great variety of talent to be enjoyed from this cast. There was wonderful acting, singing and choreography.

(This is Rivka Adina Dror who has an amazing voice and presence on and off stage. She played Naomi and Devora in this performance. She sang a beautiful soulful song that made me think of Aretha Franklin and Mahalia Jackson. Not only for the similarity in voice, but also similarity in passion when singing. You can tell she really enjoyed it and felt it.)

Yet, I was most impressed with the depth of feeling found in many of the songs (some of which were RYS originals). Two songs in particular moved me to tears. I don't remember all the words, but the resounding messages were that of unmoving faith in God, and the responsibility to find and fulfill one's personal role in life. Although not directly stated, I left with the impression that these people (and I don't mean just the characters) truly understood and trusted in the scriptural promises, "This too shall pass" and "Be still and know that I am God."

At the end of the performance the cast and audience all stood up and sang a prayer of sorts in Hebrew. It was almost melancholic in tune and definitely sacred. I meant to ask what it was called, but in my haste to talk to the cast members and express my enjoyment I forgot to ask. Yet, I will not easily forget the feelings I had while they sang. I did not understand a word, but words were not needed. I felt the importance of and faith in what they sang by the emotion that was almost palpable in that small auditorium. I only wish that some of you reading this could have been there.

2 comments:

HaYn Mama said...

Oh my goodness... I'm totally crying and I didn't even witness the performance. How wonderful that you got to have that experience.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful!!! I wish I could see this show. I wish they would go all over the world with it. It would be much needed!