Saturday, October 11, 2008

Where did all the cars go, mom?

Anabelle!! Watch out for the cars!!!


No, I didn't finally loose it and let Anabelle run wild in the middle of Rehovot's main street. This week Israel celebrated Yum Kippur, and in honor of this special day all the streets are closed off to cars. Families than set out on their bikes and ride on the streets. This is why this day is also known as "bicycle day." There are absolutely no cars allowed and thus it is safe to let your child run wild down the middle of the main road.

The blob you see towards the back near the round-about is actually a group of five boys on their bikes that almost ran over Anabelle.


Although it was fun to see all the bikes what Anabelle and I found most refreshing was all the time we had to ponder. Anabelle really enjoyed stopping along the way at different spots and for some reason she would just sit quietly. It was really interesting and very unlike Anabelle.






As I was explaining what Yom Kippur is to Anabelle, I asked her if she knew what repentance meant, and she said, "you say, 'sorry God,' and you be nice." So simple and yet so many of us find this hard to do. I thought about how grateful I am for the opportunity Christ has given me to say,"I am sorry" and to know I am forgiven as I feel peace fill my heart. I am amazed that through his grace and love I can be a nicer and a better me.

1 comment:

HaYn Mama said...

Maria,
It's FUCHI!!! How are you? I can't believe you guys are in Israel. I have to read more of your blog to see what you are up to. I found you on Catrine Kruger's blog. . . you left her a comment and I had to stop by and say hi. I hope you don't mind but I'm adding you to my blog list so I can keep in touch with you. Come by and say hi. . . kahalekomo.blogspot.com