Sunday, October 2, 2011

What to do when someone in Arizona cuts your power...

A few weeks ago I was madly setting up a number computer jobs to run for a week on our lab's cluster, and was happy when it started... but then... Somebody in Arizona flipped a switch and San Diego county was without power.

So if your life revolved around the computer, and everything you do requires internet access, what would you do? Well, I first pulled out my iPad to read some papers I'd saved on it... but unfortunately it had low battery, so I quickly started to panic...

However, fortunately our neighbors helped me shift my mind to something else... they whipped out their gas-grills  and we started to have a barbecue under the stars (yes.. I think it was the first time I'd seen stars in San Diego).




Anyway, it was fun evening in the dark... and fortunately the power was back on in the morning, allowing me to get plugged back into my computer.

Anabelle told me to point out the best part of this story... "School was cancelled the next day!"

No comments: