Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Pigeons and Neglectful Parenting

Bet Guvrin is the site of an old town where there used to be a big ancient pigeon farm, a limestone quarry, and some old tombs. If you look at all of the walls in the pigeon caves, you can see all of the old roosts.

There are all sorts of caves you can visit there. However, I was sad that they have closed off my favorite one. When I was in Israel 11 years ago, there was one that you could only enter if you were to climb on your hands and knees through a long dark tiny tunnel, until the tunnel ends an opens up to a small pigeon cave.

The most impressive site in Bet Guvrin is the Bell Caves. These bell shaped caves were ancient limestone quaries in which they'd dig a hole, and over time cut out limestone blocks from the floor and haul them up through the hole.
Some of these holes got pretty deep.

The sides of some of the cave walls have collapsed over the millennia, leading to some pretty lighting effects.

Unfortunately we didn't realize that Anabelle was sick until she crashed in the last cave... when we felt her, we noticed she clearly had a fever. I've since had to correct her a few time since she now think that you get sick from going in the bell caves. (and I'm still in trouble for noticing she was hot that morning when I got up with her, but not thinking to actually check her temperature before getting her ready... and yes, she even rode on my shoulders for an hour before she crashed...).

1 comment:

Kelly and Nathan said...

Nice pictures of the caves. Maria, you are getting bigger.:) How cute.:)
Poor Anabelle!
I am sure every parent hasn't caught on that their child might have a fever so don't beat yourself up. I am sure you made it up by giving lots of love to her.:)